Friday, July 31, 2009

Is it possible to "extend" a canine up the gumline?

i have smaller canines compared to the rest of my teeth so they grew lower that the rest of my teeth.





I was wondering if its possible to extend the canines upwards (to the gumline) to match the height of my other teeth. (for aesthetic reasons). thanks!

Is it possible to "extend" a canine up the gumline?
Hi! I've been in dentistry for over 25 years. And Yes, this can be done if it is necessary. This is called crown lengthening and usually a periodontist does this. However, you need to consult with a dentist to see if this is a good idea and if it will have long term issues with your mouth. As well get older, out gums recede and you DO NOT want a horsey look when you get older. It is easy to remove the gum, almost impossible to replace it. This is what I would do.


Go to your dentist and sit with him with a mirror. Take some digital photos and have him show you what can and can not be done by drawing on the photos. Then you can discuss a plan that is proper and best for you. I've done this on people you broke teeth and needed a new smile line for the crowns to look like they were coming from the gums. So anything is possible if it is right for you. Good luck. M



mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment